The ingredients are prepped, organisers have added some extra ‘spice’ to this year’s recipe and the oven timer is set – it’s just 30 days until Pie Time 2019 is ready to be served up piping hot to all visitors to the NSW Southern Highlands.
“Pie Time is 30 days and 100s of ways to enjoy pies in the Southern Highlands,” said Steve Rosa, Group Manager Tourism and Economic Development, Destination Southern Highlands, or the ‘Pie Man’ as he is affectionately known.
“In one month from today the Southern Highlands truly becomes the Southern Pie-lands for this celebration of the great Australian pie, with many delicious pie themed events, festivals, tours and activities throughout the entire month of June,” Steve continued.
Steve went on to say that with just one month to go, the team at Destination Southern Highlands has been most impressed with the range and quality of brand-new Pie Time experiences offered up by the local tourism industry for visitors to enjoy.
“We’ve got everything from the new Ned Kelly hero pie at Heatherbrae’s Pies, to flying high with a pie at Illawarra Fly Tree Top Adventures. There’s pies in the sky with star gazing at Cuttaway Hill Wines and the Southern Pielands Express – a special Cockatoo Run 3801 Pie theme train trip from Sydney to Robertson and Moss Vale,” Steve explained.
“June is the time for the great pie takeover in the Southern Pielands!” Steve concluded.
Pie Time runs from 1-30 June in the Southern Highlands of NSW. For more information on Pie Time visit www.pietime.com.au
Our added ‘spice’ – what’s new for Pie Time 2019:
- Past Times & Pies at Fairground Follies – a rare peek at antique mechanical and musical attractions matched with a pie themed morning tea at Fairground Follies in Bowral. Listen to the happiest music on earth with a hot sweet pie and drink. Saturday 1st and 15th June. 30am – 12noon.
- Pie in the Sky @ Cuttaway Hill Wines Exeter – star gazing, pinot, pies and fires at Cuttaway Hill Wines in Exeter. Saturday 15th June 5.30 – 9.30pm.
- Fly High with a Pie @ Illawarra Fly Tree Top Adventures – Fly high on a zipline and dine with a pie during June.
Southern Pielands Express – Special Cockatoo Run 3801 Pie theme Train trip from Sydney to Robertson & Moss Vale return – Sunday 24th June.
- Sweety Pie & Bubbles Trail – the perfect match of local sparkling wines and pies, throughout Pie Time.
Hero Pies by local bakers – Ned Kelly at Heatherbrae’s Pies (one of many hero pies available)
- From Moo to You – Cow Pies @ the Moss Vale Sales Yards – Tour of Sales Yard with cattle sales viewing followed by a Meat Pie & Coffee/Tea – every Wednesday morning at 10am in June.
- Saucy Painting – Pie, Pinot and Pie Sauce painting events at Glass Café Mittagong – 4th and 18th June from 6-8.30pm.
- Bonfire & Pie Night @ Farm Club Australia – Saturday 8th
- Wine Bluffs – Pie & Pinot Show @ Southern Highlands Winery – two actors present a send-up of two wine buffs with pies and pinot. Friday 28th and Saturday 29th June (evening show) and an afternoon show on Saturday 29th June.
Our staple ingredients – Pie Time favourites:
- PieFest – NEW dates – Saturday 29th and Sunday 30 June at Bong Bong Picnic Racecourse in Bowral. PieFest is the celebration and signature event of Pie Time this June in the Southern Highlands. The two-day festival will showcase everything that there is to love about PIES, with market stalls, pie cooking demonstrations, children’s activities, family fun and more. There will be stacks of pies, plus wine, beer, cider and spirits from the Southern Highlands and further afield.
- NSW/ACT Best Pie Competition, Dinner & Winner Pie Showcase at Mittagong RSL 29th May – 2nd June. Although the competition is not a public event during the judging days, it is THE event that will provide the best pies in the Southern Highlands and beyond. And the public can view all the competition pies at the Mittagong RSL on Sunday 2nd June, after which the winning pies can be tasted and purchased at PieFest on 29-30 June. Entering the competition is open to everyone who produces pies in the Southern Highlands and beyond, bakers, pie makers, chefs, cooks, and home bakers are all eligible to enter this great competition. Categories include red meat, white meat, sweet, savoury, apprentice and community.
- Pie Cycle Tours.
- Pie & Pinot Trail.
- Pie themed tours.
- Pie Trike Tours.
- Pie demonstrations and cooking classes.
- Dine with a Pie – sample the region’s signature pies, available only for the month of June from over 50 hotels, cafes, cellar doors and restaurants.
- Pie Teas.
- Pie Drives – a Meals on Wheels and charity pie drive fundraiser event.
- Pie Trail – explore and sample locally made hero pies from over 30 local pie outlets.
- Pie-Cations – stay a night or few in the Southern Highlands during Pie Time in June.
- For more information on Pie Time visit www.pietime.com.au