When you or a loved one begins to experience difficulty using the stairs, it may be time to consider purchasing a stairlift. But with so many different models and brands on the market, how do you know which one is right for your home? In this blog post, we will discuss the factors you need to consider when choosing a stairlift, as well as some of the best models on the market. Let’s get started!
Consider The Person’s Mobility And Needs
When choosing a stairlift, it is essential to consider the mobility and needs of the person who will be using it. If the user has difficulty walking, you will want to choose a model that includes a seat and footrest.
If the user is able to walk but has difficulty climbing stairs, you may want to consider a standing stairlift. The pros from National Stairlifts recommend you also take into account the user’s weight, as this will affect the type of motor you need. There are also stairlifts that are specifically designed for people with limited mobility or who use a wheelchair. These models include a platform that the user can roll onto, as well as a seatbelt to keep them safe while in use.
Know Your Staircase
The first thing you need to do when you’re considering a stairlift is take a good look at your staircase. Your staircase will dictate what kind of stairlift you can have installed, and how much it’s going to cost. There are three main types of staircases:
- Straight: This is the most common type of staircase, and as the name suggests, it’s simply a straight set of stairs. A stairlift can be installed on either side of this type of staircase.
- Curved: A curved staircase is one that has a bend or curve in it. These types of staircases are trickier to install a stairlift on, and as such, they tend to be more expensive.
- Spiral: A spiral staircase is one that winds around in a circle. These are the most difficult to install a stairlift on, and as such, they’re also the most expensive.
If you have a straight or curved staircase, you’re in luck – any type of stairlift can be installed on either of these. However, if you have a spiral staircase, you’ll need to be more selective about the type of stairlift you choose. Not all stairlifts are able to be installed on spiral stairs, so it’s important that you do your research before making a purchase.
Consider All Your Stairlift Options
There are many different stairlift models on the market today, so it’s important to do your research and find the one that best fits your needs. The following considerations should be made in your decision:
- How much weight can the stairlift accommodate?
- Does the stairlift have a folding seat or footrest?
- How much does the stairlift weigh?
- Is the stairlift easy to install and operate?
- What is the warranty on the stairlift?
Be sure to consider all your options before making a final decision. A little bit of research now can save you a lot of hassle and expense down the road.
When choosing a stairlift for your home, it is important to consider the mobility and needs of the user, as well as the type of staircase you have. Be sure to do your research and compare all your options before making a final decision. With a little bit of planning, you can find the perfect stairlift for your home.