The crispy chicken can be replaced with sausages, or king prawns stirred into the olives and chickpeas a few minutes before serving.
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp smoked paprika
• 8 free-range chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
• Handful of black or green olives, drained and rinsed
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 400g tin chopped tomatoes
• Splash of red wine vinegar
• 2 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Heat the oven to 220°C. Put 2 tbsp of the olive oil, the smoked paprika and the chicken into a bowl, season and rub to coat. Put the thighs, skin-side up, in a roasting tin with the olives. Roast for 35-40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, then gently fry the onion and garlic for 10 minutes without colouring. Add the tomatoes and vinegar, season well and cook until reduced a little. Add the chickpeas, cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the parsley.
3. When the chicken is golden and crisp, spoon out a few tablespoons of the roasting pan juices into the chickpeas. Serve the chickpeas and olives topped with the chicken.